I created this recipe last night when I realized after I had meatballs baking in the oven and pasta done on the stove that I didn't have a jar of Hunts pasta sauce! I had a moment of being the drama queen my family knows well when I'm in the kitchen and then pulled myself together... Here's what happened:
1 large can whole tomatoes
1 small can tomato sauce
1 (14 oz maybe) can of italian style tomatoes in olive oil
2 cloves fresh garlic
1 whole onion
Put in blender- I quartered the onion, but put the garlic in whole- blend until smooth. If I had a food processor that would have worked better, it was a chunky sauce, but had a lot of flavor and all of my picky eaters ate it! One added bonus is that it made enough for 2 more meals so it's cheaper even than the cheapo hunts sauce and much much better. This would be fabo with garden tomatoes. I think next time I will try tomato paste rather than sauce and see if it's thicker.
Who knew I could make "homemade" sauce! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment