To me there’s nothing more frustrating than spending a bunch of time in the kitchen preparing a meal for my family only to have it not turn out well. Or worse- spend time and money preparing a fun new meal only to have my kids turn their cute little noses up at it. Somehow that makes me loose my appetite every time. I have a big list of recipes that are the “tried and true” that I rotate through our meal plans.
I’m loving my new Our Best Bites cookbook and website because it has helped me try new things because every single recipe I have tried has been amazingly good and the directions are easy to read.
I generally work on my menu’s for the week by Thursday or Friday of the week before. Here’s what’s on my plan for this week:
Friday- Chili and rice- one last time before it gets too hot! (This chili is funny because I just use the recipe on the back of the Aldi chili seasoning packet and it won a chili cook-off at church for best all around one year! Still makes me laugh when I think about it. I just brought it so my kids would eat something!)
Saturday- Homemade pizza using this dough- I’ll probably make it up ahead of time for Thomas and the kids since I’ll be with my mom. I made this for Tyler’s graduation dinner last week and will not prebake the crust this time. It was too crunchy for our taste.
Sunday- Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Pork from my new cookbook. (I promise I get no royalties in promoting this book!) They have homemade tortillas in the book as well, but I’m not that brave yet.
Monday- Sweet and Sour Meatballs and rice. This one looks super easy when you use egg free frozen meatballs. I’m not sure how they do those egg free- I’ve never found a meatball recipe that worked out when I substituted the egg.
Tuesday- Chicken Fettuccini using this recipe for egg free white sauce that’s actually not too bad for you.
Wednesday- Hamburger Steaks from allrecipes.com. This is an old favorite, not egg free, but Sammie won’t touch it anyway so why bother. She can eat mac and cheese.
Thursday- Cheesy Orzo with sautéed chicken from Rachel Ray. I made this last week and it was really yummy. I’ll play with it a bit this week and see if we like it as well. It was my first time making Orzo and we all loved it.
And then we are to Friday next week when I will start all over again. I’ll probably be burned out trying new things and will stick with the tried and true. Then again maybe some of these newby recipes will make the cut and become the tried and true.
No comments:
Post a Comment