The daily road of a family of five.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Cell phones only

We have moved to only cell phones. Just wanted to let everyone know. We've finally embraced 10 year old technology and got a smart phone for Thomas. He's had fun playing with it.

For my Tuesday post- Effective Advocating...

It's always interesting to go back in time and think about Spencer at younger ages. I've had an opportunity to do just that recently while corresponding with an acquaintance over email. One thing I remember- if I expected little I got very little from him. It's easy to have an "I give up" mentality as a parent with a non verbal child. It's important with any parenting to have your mind made up that your kid can do it and have the faith in him/her necessary for them to succeed.

A few of my favorite quotes about autism:

"Just because I don't say anything, doesn't mean I don't have anything to say" is one of my favorite quotes about autism from autism speaks. Every behavior is a way of communication. I once heard Temple Grandin say "I can look at you or I can listen to you. You pick."

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Darrin for the motivation to continue when I was bored of blogging. :)

    ReplyDelete