The daily road of a family of five.

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Thursday's Organizing Challenge: Returns Bookcase


Much of my organizing challenges are not the actual organizing. I'm a planner by nature. I'm an idea girl. I look at a lot of great internet sites about organizing and come up with pretty cool ideas on my own(if I do say so myself)- it's the upkeep that throws me for a loop. It seems like when I just get things going well with my systems and schedules and lists I get sick or one of the kids get sick or we go camping or I go on a reading marathon, or life happens and I get off of my wonderfully thought out plan. Well, I've discovered one system that works and is easy to stick to because there is hardly any upkeep. I call it:

The Return Bookcase

Here's how it works-

1. Put a book case/shelf/table in a high traffic area
2. Put all library books, borrowed items, Netflix movies, those things you have had for an embarrassingly long time etc. on that book case.
3. And the hardest part- kindly remind everyone to put their stinking library books back on the stinking bookshelf!!!!

***It's then up to your household to then take the items back to the library, church, neighbor etc. The slotted spoon you accidentally picked up at a church potluck has the danger of becoming invisible- unless you handle it right away.

What inspired this bookcase idea was the "Atkins Family Summer" poster I wrote about last week. The kids put down things they wanted to learn about. I went to the library and checked out like 40 books.

I've always had a strict 1 book, 1 movie rule with the kids because they misplace the library items so quickly and then I have to hear them complain when I make them do extra chores to pay for the library fines. Let's hope with some organizing maintenance we can avoid that whining in the near future- or at least until life happens again to mess it all up.







No comments:

Post a Comment