The daily road of a family of five.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Wednesday: Allergy free recipes- Funky Chicken!

Today's recipe is what my family lovingly calls "Funky Chicken". (don't ask)

It's our Sunday crock pot recipe. Very simple-

1 bottle of sauce
I've just about tried every kind of sauce our stores offer- BBQ, a variety of marinades- lemon pepper, herb and garlic- every fat free and low fat salad dressing and vinaigrette, sweet and sour sauce etc. You can also use canned soup, but we had that so much when I first found this recipe the family rebelled and refused to eat anything with cream of mushroom soup in it.

4-6 frozen boneless, skinless, chicken breasts depending on size. Other parts might work as well, but since I'm always watching the calorie intake I stick to the breast meat. Other parts might cook faster.

Throw chicken in crock pot, pour sauce over chicken (whole bottle) and put it on low for about 4-6 hours. (my crock pot seems to be a little on the fast side and cooks the chicken to falling apart at 4 hours)

Serve over pasta, rice or on a bun depending on the kind of sauce. There will be extra sauce for flavoring your rice or pasta.

Our favorite sauces?

Last Sunday I used Newman's Own light honey mustard salad dressing and it was a huge it. Not only did the kids lick their plates - when we paired it with whole wheat pasta EVERYONE ate the same dinner! That is a miracle in our house with Spencer and Sammie's food issues.

Also love BBQ sauce (shred the chicken after cooking) with hoagie rolls served with steak fries or sweet and sour sauce with green peppers and onions thrown in while the rice is cooking.

The sky is the limit!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Dereth! I just logged in and saw that you're reading Artemis Fowl. I like that series and own several of the books (4 or 5 of them but there's a new one out I haven't read). Let me know what you think of it.

    I like the new layout also. It's so fun to keep up with friends through blogs. hmmm I need to update mine . . . .

    Linda :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linda. I am really enjoying Artemis Fowl. It's clever.

    ReplyDelete