The daily road of a family of five.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Wednesday: Food Allergy Recipes

First, let me say that the recipe I posted last week- the chocolate caramel brownies thing was a disaster. I didn't bother with a picture since it looked like a sunken in chocolate mess. I have a suspicion that I was not following the directions effectively and that was part of the problem, but it did not turn out like I thought it would. I used the ice cream topping instead of caramels, didn't bake it long enough at first, and put the caramel on first instead of the chocolate chips. I have no idea why my expectations were very high when I obviously did not follow the instructions. All well. I'll not be making it again, but I tasted the different stages of baking and they were all delicious so it wasn't a total loss. I brought Oreo's to the picnic.

Here's my recipe post for this week from Food Allergy Mama: Can I just say YUMMY! (yes, I have made this one before) Check out her site. She also has a book that Sammie got me for Christmas.

I made this bread for a spring breakfast I hosted and everyone loved it. It is my "go to" recipe now when we are out of cereal or bread for cinnamon toast. I've made it into muffins and they are great too, but stick with the regular size muffin tins- the mini ones are too small for the yummy crumb topping.


Dairy, Egg and Nut Free Applesauce Bread

2 c. granulated sugar

4 T. water

1 c. vegetable oil

1/3 c. soy or rice milk

2 1/4 c. unsweetened applesauce- I actually like it fine sweetened- the apple cinnamon one is great! I want to try the other apple sauce flavors they have now- strawberry, peach etc. in this bread.

4 c. unbleached all purpose flour

2 1/4 tsp. baking soda

3/4 tsp. baking powder

1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg

1/2 T. salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray two 8-inch loaf pans generously with dairy free baking spray.

In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachement, combine the sugar and water until mixed. Add oil, soy milk and applesauce and mix on low until thoroughly incorporated.

In a seperate medium bowl, combine flour through salt and mix with a wire whisk. Add to applesauce mixture and divide batter between the two prepared loaf pans. Bake 50 – 60 minutes or until golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean. Cool and serve.

* I used regular milk since we don't have a milk allergy in our house. I also mixed cinnamon, sugar, and softened butter into a nice crumble and spread it over the top of the batter before baking. YUM!









No comments:

Post a Comment