The daily road of a family of five.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Tuesday: Effective Advocating in the community

Advocating takes place in a number of different areas of Spencer's life. The most recent incident involved the summer reading program at the library. Spencer is 11 and technically qualified for the teen reading program, but with his reading level I signed him up for the up to 10 year old reading program. The prizes were much more at his level of interest and the overall program was better for him. O, the drama this has caused the poor librarians who have great eye for detail, but have a hard time thinking outside the "box".

Drama #1: When I signed all of the kids up a few weeks ago they gave me a hard time about Spencer's age and what program he should do. I was adamant that he get to participate in the same one as Sammie. After 10 minutes of trying to convince me the librarian sighed and reluctantly agreed to sign him up for the younger program. (all the while I'm trying to herd 3 kids who are ready to leave)

Drama #2: We went back this week to collect the level 1 prizes and again they tried to sign him up for the teen reading program. Again, I listened to a lecture about how the program was run and why they wanted him in the teen program. My favorite argument she gave me was that the glasses that were the first prize would be too small for his head. Oi. I listened to what she had to say, but was persistent again and didn't let them switch him. I believe I said "I understand that" about 10 times in our 5 minute conversation. The herding of the children/sheep was an issue as with Drama #1 although this time I did have Julianne with me to help.

Enough Drama! Twice was enough for me though. I asked another worker for the number of the branch manager. (I avoid conflict at all costs so there was NO way I was asking the first worker) I kindly and calmly explained the reasons I had for enrolling Spencer in the 10 and under program and asked for her approval for this accommodation for him.

**Accommodation is a strong word. Saying "Would you be willing to accommodate my son with a disability?" is one of those questions that everyone feels they have to answer with a "yes" :)

She did agree and apologized for the trouble I'd had. I gave her Spencer's name and asked her to give her employee's instructions that it was OK for him to be in the 10 and under program so we could avoid the scene of Drama #1 and Drama #2 again. She did one better and told me to call ahead and let her or her assistant know we were coming to claim prizes and they would make themselves available to give Spencer his prizes personally.

It was a very productive conversation. I was kind and considerate and didn't put her on the defensive. I ended the conversation by telling her how impressed we were with the library programs and how lucky we felt to live in St. Louis County so we can participate in the many activities the library has to offer.

She thanked me for being a patron and said to keep her name and number to call if any other accommodation was needed for Spencer in the future. You bet she will get a phone call from me at the beginning of the summer reading program next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment